Thursday, January 30, 2014

Is it Spring Yet?

A big shout out to a fellow blogger, Mrs. Herring's First Grade News, for her wonderful fonts! Check out her super, cute fonts in my newest product.

I have been overly excited to start thinking about spring...flowers, sunshine, light weight clothing, and flip flops! Ah, I am getting a little stir crazy just thinking about it already. So what better way to start thinking about spring than to create some spring related products.

My students always love to have activities that deal with plants and flowers. When teaching plant related items, it is important that students know the parts of a plant. This activity allows students to be "hands on" to reconstruct a plant, label, and even tell the responsibilities of the parts identified.




http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Parts-of-a-Plant-Hands-On-1087557

 Check out this product and many more at my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Another follow up activity I do with my students is grow our own plants! Sometimes I'll do this around Earth Day so I can use reusable baby food jars to show recycling as well! My students love growing their own plants. I incorporate math (graphing) and reading elements into the lessons as well. I have asked students to compare and contrast plants using Venn Diagrams. I have also asked them to write a compare/contrast paragraph to end the unit.
 http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Plant-Growth-Activities-728185


 We also like doing a constant seed collection during the entire unit. Students will bring in all kinds, and I mean...all kinds of seeds to share with the class. We post them to a giant piece of paper to keep up so students can look and explore at the differences between them all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment